Willkommen auf den Seiten des Auswärtigen Amts

Planned stay: more than 90 days

VIS - Visa Information System

VIS - Visa Information System, © EU Komission


Who needs a visa?

Foreigners who plan to stay for more than three months or take up gainful employment generally require a visa. EU citizens, EEA nationals and Swiss nationals are exempt from this requirement.

If you have a nationality other than those mentioned above, you can find out here whether you need a visa to enter Germany.

After entering the country, the foreigners authority issues a residence permit on the basis of the visa. We strongly recommend contacting the local immigration office as soon as possible after your arrival in Germany in order to secure a timely appointment.

Which visa should I apply for?

The type of visa you need to apply for depends on the purpose of your intended stay. The Visa Navigator can help you find out which visa you need to apply for.

Working, training and studying in Germany

How do I apply for a visa?

Select your intended purpose of residence below to find out about the relevant application procedure:

nach oben