Willkommen auf den Seiten des Auswärtigen Amts

Skilled workers

Fachkraft-Stellenanzeige, Symbolfoto

Fachkraeftemangel, Symbolfoto, © dpa / blickwinkel


Skilled workers from third countries outside the EU (as well as outside Liechtenstein, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland) have the possibility to obtain a residence permit to take up gainful employment in Germany, provided the relevant requirements are met.

What do I have to do to be able to work in Germany?

Five steps to Germany: Information on job search, visa, relocation, settling in and family can be found on Make it in Germany.

General information on the topic of „Living and working in Germany“ and related issues such as the recognition of qualifications, employment opportunities and social security can be found on the website of the Federal Employment Agency and on the EURES portal (European Employment Services).

What requirements must I fulfill as a skilled worker?

You can find an overview of the requirements here.

Does my foreign professional/university qualification have to be recognised in Germany?

Depending on your country of origin and professional field, your professional qualification may need to be recognised. You can find more detailed information on this at anerkennung-in-deutschland.de. Interested skilled workers should find out about this at an early stage.


Here you will find answers to your questions about the immigration of skilled workers and taking up employment in Germany.

How do I apply for a visa?

Which visa you can apply for depends on your professional qualifications and the work you wish to do in Germany.

Please find below information on the respective application procedures:

nach oben